Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Homemade Costumes of Holidays Past: Dipsy

Me & My Teletubbie Hubby, 2009


Late October here is hot during the day, and cold at night. We bake at the school carnivals, and then freeze trick-or-treating. I would have loved to add sleeves and pants for a full-body effect. Bonus: since it is not sized, we've been able to loan it out to friends. Yay!

Sewing Notes:

I started with the adult tomato costume pattern from Simplicity 6192 (© 1983) for the body.


While the tomato pattern called for felt, I chose fleece and backed the lower half with iron-on interfacing for a little stiffness. I ended up using two panels instead of three, and still had to shave down the width. The television screen is pleather. The simple elastic waist allowed us to stuff 25 gallon plastic bags full of packing peanuts for girth. Lightweight, but "HOT!" according to my husband. And, of course, fun for hugging.

I'm also seeing Angry Bird potential here.

I used Simplicity 2829 (© 2008) for the skull cap. (I believe this pattern is still available in stores, although I was not able to find it on their website.) Dipsy's aerial is stuffed with venti-length Starbucks straws taped together.


Next time, 2011's Stay Puft Marshmallow Man from Ghostbusters. To be continued...


No comments: