Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Baking for Callum Review: Gluten Free Rice Krispie Treats (Dairy Free)

My husband had refused to accept baked goods made from rice into his heart. (And couscous. He is really bothered by cous cous.)

That was until I made Kellogg's Gluten Free Rice Krispie Treats.

"They taste the same!" my husband exclaimed with little boy delight. Uh, yeah. The nice people at Kellogg's tweaked and tweaked until the ingredients were simply three: brown rice, sugar, and salt!

The funny thing is I had never made Rice Krispie treats for my own family and probably never would have if it weren't for my search to find an easy little something sweet for Callum.

The recipe is on the box. Note: the box is yellow instead of blue. It took me like 3 stores to figure that one out in my sleep-deprived state, so you're welcome. I sub Earth Balance Vegan Buttery Sticks for the fat. The best part is that all the ingredients needed (cereal, butter substitute, marshmallows*) have enough of a shelf life that they can be kept on hand for unplanned celebrations so our little guy is never left out. Of course they can be frozen for up to 6 weeks, too, if you don't eat them all. Ha, as if!

*Some marshmallow brands do contain gluten.

No comments: