Monday, September 24, 2012

Cooking for Callum: Roast Chicken with Balsamic Bell Peppers (Free of the Top 8 Food Allergens)

A mother can only cook two dinners a night for just so long! Our youngest, Callum, has multiple food allergies and a severe gluten intolerance. At 16 months, he'll still eat just about anything we put in front of him, as long as it doesn't try to kill him, and he hasn't seen it yet that week. (Callum's Cardinal Rule: No leftovers!) The other challenge in finding Callum-friendly fare is that it must pass the test of four other family members, including our very picky Olive, and have ingredients I can pronounce. My goal: omit basic allergenic foods without whack-a-doodle alternatives.

This recipe, my friends, passes all our tests!

Cooking Light's Roast Chicken with Balsamic Bell Peppers

(Don't forget the gluten free chicken broth and soy free alternative to cooking spray.)


We pair it with Trader Joe's Frozen Brown Rice (3 minute microwave pouch is my bff) and French Green Beans. Maybe there's wine for mom, too.

While this recipe predates our little guy, it still has his name all over it. One night back in September of 2010 I made this, one of my absolute favorite quick and easy meals, and found it so repulsive that I dumped my share onto my husband's plate and proceeded to have ice cream for dinner. It was my husband's "What's up with you?" and the kids "No fair!" that prompted me to test for pregnancy the next morning. Hello, Callum!

Bon appétit!

No comments: