Friday, September 28, 2012

Baking for Callum Review: Trader Joe's Gluten Free Brownie Baking Mix (Dairy, Soy, Corn, Peanut & Tree Nut Free)

Trader Joe's Gluten Free Brownie Mix is amazeballs. I've read tons of bad (and older) reviews of these brownies online and all I can figure is that recipe has been changed or they were left in too long. Even my picky husband agrees -- fantastic flavor, perfect texture, and only a hint of that gluten free taste.

The first time I made them I left them in a handful of minutes too long and made delicious little rocks. Remove them as soon as a toothpick comes out clean, not a minute longer. I substitute applesauce and Canola Oil for Vegetable Oil, each time a little less oil for a little more applesauce, and they are still so good that next time I will try ditching the oil altogether.

What you will need for brownies:
1 bag of TJ's Gluten Free Brownie Baking Mix
1 egg
1/2 cup Vegetable Oil (or 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce and/or Canola Oil)
1/4 cup water

High Altitude: No directions provided. For my home, approximately 5,500 feet above sea level, bake time increased by 5 minutes.

Bon appétit!

Also included on the bag a recipe for Chocolate Chip Cookies I have not tried.

What you will need for cookies:
1 bag of TJ's Gluten Free Brownie Baking Mix
1 egg
1/4 cup oil
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp xanthan gum
2 tbsp water
1/2 cup gluten free chocolate chips
1/3 cup raisins or craisins
1/3 cup chopped nuts (optional)


TJ's Gluten Free Brownie Mix Ingredients: Organic Evaporated Can Juice (Sugar), Sweet Brown Rice Flour, Cocoa (Processed with Alkali), Tapioca, Flour, Arrowroot Flour, Sea Salt, Xanthan Gum. No artificial colors, flavors, or preservatives.

No comments: