Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Cooking for Callum: Crock Pot Honey Sesame Chicken (Gluten, Dairy & Egg Free Dinner)

Pinterest crashed on me yesterday, right as I was getting ready to make one of our everyone-eats-it favorites. It was more of a bummer than panic, as I am quite adept at throwing my hands up in the air and declaring, "Chipolte!" (Callum goes bonkers for their guac -- it was one of his first eat out baby foods as we tried to figure out this allergy stuff.) Still, would have been sad, as what's better than coming home after dark from winter swimming lessons to a house that smells good from the garage?

Which is why I'm here now. Save a tree and jamming more things into a recipe box that doesn't close, or just blog the darn thing as I'd always intended...

The first time I'd only glanced at the ingredients to make sure I had everything on hand, not the actual measurements, so when I went to make it I sorta freaked. That is a lot of honey, a lot of ketchup, and a lot of low sodium (gluten-free) soy sauce! Not being much of a crock potter I didn't realize until later it was just for marinating purposes. Even when the kids get a hold of the ladle and drown their plates we throw more than 1/2 of it out for about twice the chicken. It's tablespoon(s) you'll ingest, not fractions of cups, but you probably already knew that.


What's in it?

Chicken, salt and pepper, onion, garlic, honey, ketchup, (gluten-free) low sodium soy sauce, olive oil, and red pepper flakes.

Optional: Cornstarch, sesame seeds, and scallions.


Our notes, tweakings, and sides:

We, and by that I mean me, (the rest have learned to adapt), are crazy onion and garlic people, so I double both. I love Sprouts Orange Blossom Honey. I use 3.5-4lbs of chicken and I skip thickening it all up at the end with cornstarch because, whatever, I say it's done already. I omit the salt, as I don't think it's needed. The sesame seeds are easily left off for allergy sensitive folks, like our guy Callum. Sometimes I forget the scallions. Don't do that! Scallions are onions, too! Nom nom.

To keep it quick we add my bff Trader Joe's 3 minute microwave brown rice (gluten-free) or even better Rice Medley (contains barley) and broccoli steamed à la microwave. DONE.

Three out of our three children get excited when this is what's for dinner, and it's brought us back out of a sick of chicken slump. Bam!


Full recipe at The Comfort of Cooking. Contains honey = not for children under one year of age.


What else am I loving on Pinterest these days? Grilled Artichoke Pesto Zucchini Bites, which I hope to try tomorrow night. Our newest favorite, bloggy review forthcoming, Zucchini Spaghetti, has received our highest ranking of (4 years old and suspicious of all green food + hates pizza* + many things pasta) Olive not only ate it but has declared she loves it AND asked for more despite being chock full of highly visible green stuff. Whisper with me now, "Great white buffalo."

(*Contains no pizza.)

No comments: