Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Cooking for Callum: Zucchini Spaghetti (Gluten Free Dinner)



I hate taking pictures of food, which is why I don't food-blog more.

1. Let's eat already. (The above is last night's leftovers for lunch, and I'm hungry.)
2. There is nothing white and clean in my house for a proper backdrop without oodles of wrinkles or fold lines.
3. Lighting vs. my cheapo camera and the only thing I can do in Photoshop is crop.

Last summer I had the most amazing zucchini spaghetti ever at Farm & Table. Theirs had wine, and lots of it. Mind POOF! BLOWN. This is not comparable, and by that I mean non-alcoholic and kid friendly, but still super delish and getting added to our favorites. Recipe via Pinterest, which I am loving for food these days, as we are all just repinning the same stuff over and over which beats pouring through way too many bad hits in a regular ol' web search.

As mentioned in an earlier post, Alexandra's Summer Squash Spaghetti received our family's highest ranking of Olive not only ate it but has declared she loves it AND asked for more AND also ate the more she asked for despite being chock full of highly visible green stuff. She's 4, and with the exception of broccoli and peas has a thing against green stuff based on a bad experience with cilantro, but a single bite won her over. Yes, it is that good.


What's in it?

Gluten-free spaghetti noodles, olive oil, zucchini, garlic, red pepper flakes, lemon zest, fresh basil, parsley, cheese, and pepper.


Our notes and tweakings:

I was out of lemon and parsley (added extra basil) and omitted the salt. Recipe calls for grated Parmigiano Reggiano, but I substituted a leftover Trader Joe's "Freshly Shaved Parmesan, Romano & Asiago" combo that needed to be used. Next time I plan on adding more color with some pretty yellow squash. As leftovers I found it to be meh cold, so don't be lazy like me and give it a zap.


Find the full recipe and way better pictures here. Bon appétit!

No comments: